12.21.2011

Re-entry into the food world

So my 3-day juice cleanse is coming to an end. Today was actually the worst day. My headache returned and all I wanted was food! I had to avoid looking at photos of food, and everyone at work was chomping away on something tasty. The smells were almost unbearable, they were so good. I'm quite happy to re-enter into the real food world, but this experience was a good one. I'd do it again, but probably just two days. Plus, I plan on adding some juices to my regular eating menu. This cleanse also told me to really listen to my stomach, as it is not always as hungry as I think it is. I tend to do a lot of mindless eating, so hopefully I'll be more aware of what I'm putting in my tummy.

I thought I would post the recipes I used to make the juices. With my schedule, it was easier to juice the night before, although I have read that you get more nutritional benefit if you drink right after you juice. So I lost some vitamins, ah vell.

I also thought I'd mention the cost difference. Most of the plans that deliver to your door seem to range about $75-85/day. I know you can also buy juice at the store for about $8 a pop, so that would come to about $50 a day for 6 juices.

My cost:
Breville Juicer: $132 (sale price)
Produce from Whole Foods: $50
Produce from Costco: $60

Ideally, I'd get produce from the farmer's market, but some of these fruits and veggies are not in season, and I kind of wanted to stay as close to the Blue Print Cleanse as possible. 

Costco raid


That comes to about $80/day. But this was also for 2 people, so it's actually $40/day. Labor was about the same as it would be to cook up a meal. So all in all, I think it was worth it. Plus, I still have the juicer and can now juice at will! Can't wait to try some more recipes! I'm hooked!

THE JUICES:

Green Juice
Makes about 48 oz of juice, enough for the whole day. If it's a bit short, you can add more celery or cucumber. Drink 16 oz of juice for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

5 large handfuls of baby spinach
6 kale leaves
2 english cucumbers
10 celery stalks
4 apples, cored (I used Fuji)
1 small piece (about 1 inch by  ½ inch) of peeled ginger
Handful of parsley
2 lemons, peeled

Why not serve the juice in something special?

Pineapple Apple Mint Juice
Recipe via shutterbean, makes 16 oz. I drank this as a morning snack.
1 bunch mint
1 apple
2 cups pineapple

Yumm-o

Spicy Lemonade
No need for a juicer on this one. Just use your muscles and squeeze those lemons! 
1¾ cups of water
Juice from 2 lemons (about ¼ cup)
1 tbsp agave nectar
½ tsp cayenne pepper

Great for an afternoon pickup. Who needs coffee?


Cashew Nut Milk
Recipe a combination of a variety found online. Need a blender for this guy. Makes 32 oz, don't drink it all at one time! I had 16 oz for an evening snack.
1½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 6-8 hours in water
3½ cups fresh water (not the water that the cashews soaked in)
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp agave nectar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamon

Place ingredients in a blender and, well, blend. You can strain it through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth, but I just drank it straight. I needed that texture by the end of the day.

Cashew milk, not funky at all


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...